The village of Glenridding, home to roughly 500 residents, is a small and inconspicuous settlement on the map.
Yet, despite its seemingly unassuming appearance, this village, located on the shores of Ullswater, has become one of the Lake District’s most popular tourist destinations, particularly during the summer months.
This is due to its proximity to several of the national park’s most challenging hikes, such as Helvellyn and Striding Edge, which draw many visitors.
Things to do:
- Go for a hike: The Lake District is known for its incredible hiking trails, and Glenridding is no exception. You can enjoy a leisurely walk or a challenging hike with a range of trails for all difficulty levels. Whether you’re an experienced hiker or just starting, there’s something for everyone.
- Visit Ullswater Lake: Ullswater is one of the most beautiful lakes in the Lake District and is just a stone’s throw from Glenridding. Take a scenic boat tour of the lake, relax by the shore, or go fishing.
- Explore the nearby villages: Glenridding is surrounded by charming villages that are well worth exploring. Visit Patterdale, Pooley Bridge, and Hartsop to experience the local culture and scenery.
- Visit the Castlerigg Stone Circle: This ancient monument is located just a short drive from Glenridding and is a must-visit for history and archaeology buffs. The circle is thought to have been constructed around 3,000 BC and is one of the earliest examples of Stone Age architecture in the UK.
Where to eat:
- The Jumble Room: This charming little cafe serves up delicious, locally-sourced food, including fresh-baked cakes and pastries, soups, and sandwiches. It’s the perfect place to stop for a bite while exploring the town.
- The Wheatsheaf Inn: This traditional pub serves classic British cuisine, including hearty stews and roasted meats. Enjoy a pint of ale and soak up the local atmosphere.
- The Glenridding Hotel: This elegant hotel offers a fine dining experience with a menu that features fresh local ingredients and innovative cooking techniques.
Where to stay:
Holiday Cottages in Glenridding
Fantastic selection of holiday cottages across Glenridding in the Lake District.Available to book now.
- Glenridding Youth Hostel: This budget-friendly option offers comfortable dorm-style accommodations for backpackers and budget travellers.
- The Glenridding Hotel: This elegant hotel offers comfortable rooms, stunning views of the surrounding mountains, and a range of on-site facilities, including a restaurant and bar.
- The Wheatsheaf Inn: This traditional pub offers comfortable guest rooms and a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
By Car: Depart the M6 at exit 40, and at the first roundabout, take the A66 toward Workington and Whitehaven.
At the next roundabout, follow the signs for Ullswater by taking the A592 exit.
This scenic drive will lead you along the shores of the lake and eventually to the village.
There is ample parking available near the Ullswater Visitor Center.
By Public Transport: A bus service runs every two hours between Penrith Rail Station (located on the West Coast Main Line) and Bowness, making stops in Glenridding and the steamer port along the way.
In conclusion, Glenridding is a beautiful and peaceful town that offers something for everyone.
From stunning scenery and outdoor adventures to delicious food and comfortable accommodations, it’s the perfect place to escape and recharge.
So why plan your trip today and discover all this charming town has to offer?