Haweswater to Small Water Tarn is a stunning walk through the Lake District that is perfect for families.
The route is relatively easy and can be completed in a few hours, making it an ideal choice for families with children of all ages.
Here is a guide to help you plan your family-friendly fell walk from Haweswater to Small Water Tarn.
- Start at the Haweswater car park, located on the B5292 road. Here, you’ll find a map board that provides an overview of the route and the surrounding area.
- Follow the path along Haweswater, taking in the stunning views of the lake and the surrounding mountains. Keep an eye out for the local wildlife, including red squirrels, otters, and a variety of bird species.
- As you continue along the path, you’ll soon reach the Mardale Inn. This is a great place to stop for a refreshment break and take in the views of the lake and surrounding hills.
- After your break, continue along the path as it gradually ascends towards Small Water Tarn. Keep a lookout for the many paths that branch off the main trail, providing opportunities for families to explore the surrounding countryside.
- The route to Small Water Tarn is well-defined and easy to follow, but it can be steep in places, so be prepared for some uphill climbing. However, the effort will be worth it as the views of the tarn and the surrounding mountains are truly breathtaking.
- Take a picnic and enjoy a leisurely lunch by the tarn. The area is perfect for families to relax and play, with plenty of space for children to run and explore.
- When you’re ready to head back, simply retrace your steps back to the Haweswater car park.
Remember to bring plenty of water, sun cream, and a hat if it’s a sunny day, as well as sturdy shoes and a rain jacket in case of inclement weather.
Also, be sure to follow the Countryside Code to help protect the local environment and ensure that everyone can enjoy this beautiful area for years to come.
We hope this guide helps you plan your family-friendly fell walk from Haweswater to Small Water Tarn and that you have a wonderful time exploring this beautiful part of the Lake District.
Estimated Total Time: 1-2 hours
Ideal for: The Heughscar & the Cockpit walk from Pooley Bridge is ideal for individuals and families travelling with dogs, older children, and adults with moderate physical fitness.
This guide should help you plan a safe, enjoyable, family friendly fell walk for Haweswater to Small Water Tarn.
Remember to respect the environment and always put safety first. Happy hiking!
Disclaimer: Please note that every attempt has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided at the time of writing.However, it is essential to verify the information carefully before making any decisions based on the contents of this article.