Welcome to the Lake District and the fantastic hike through Great Wood, Walla Crag via Cat Gill & Falcon Crag!
This is a wonderful family-friendly walk that is sure to provide amazing views and a fun experience for everyone involved.
Here’s a guide to help you make the most of this walk.
Getting There: Great Wood, Walla Crag, Cat Gill, and Falcon Crag are located in the Lake District National Park in England.
The closest major city is Manchester, which is around two hours away by car.
There is also a regular bus service from Keswick to the nearby village of Ashness Bridge.
The Walk: This hike is approximately 4 miles (6.5 kilometers) and takes around 2 hours to complete.
The route starts at Ashness Bridge and follows the river upstream to Great Wood.
This is a peaceful and scenic area, with a variety of trees, including beech, oak, and rowan.
From Great Wood, the route then continues to Walla Crag via Cat Gill and Falcon Crag.
Walla Crag offers fantastic views of Derwent Water and the surrounding mountains.
After taking in the views, the route returns to Ashness Bridge.
Difficulty: This hike is considered to be of moderate difficulty, with some uphill sections and rough terrain in places.
It may be challenging for younger children, but older children and adults should find it manageable.
What to Bring:
- Comfortable shoes: This is an important one, as you’ll be walking on rough terrain for a few hours.
- Plenty of water: You’ll want to stay hydrated, especially on a warm day.
- Snacks: Pack a few healthy snacks to keep your energy levels up.
- Sunscreen: The sun can be intense, especially in the summer months, so make sure to bring sunscreen to protect your skin.
- A hat: A hat can be useful to keep the sun off your face.
- A rain jacket: The weather in the Lake District can be unpredictable, so it’s always a good idea to bring a rain jacket in case of rain.
- Stay on the path: The path can be rough and rocky in places, so it’s important to stay on the marked path to avoid getting lost or damaging the environment.
- Watch your footing: The path can be slippery in places, especially near streams and waterfalls, so take care when walking.
- Check the weather: Make sure to check the weather forecast before you set out, and be prepared for a change in conditions.
Conclusion: The Great Wood, Walla Crag via Cat Gill & Falcon Crag hike is a great way to explore the stunning Lake District and spend quality time with your family.
Estimated Total Time: 3-4 hours; Allow longer for younger children.
Ideal for: Children 5 years old and up who are attentive listeners and babies and toddlers in carriers are welcome.
This guide should help you plan a safe, enjoyable, family friendly fell walk for Great Wood, Walla Crag Via Cat Gill & Falcon Crag.
Remember to respect the environment and always put safety first. Happy hiking!
Disclaimer: Please note that every attempt has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided at the time of writing.However, it is essential to verify the information carefully before making any decisions based on the contents of this article.