Rannerdale to Buttermere is a beautiful, scenic walking route located in Lake District National Park, England.
The walk takes you through lush meadows, rolling hills, and along the picturesque shores of Buttermere Lake.
Here is a step-by-step guide to the family-friendly walk from Rannerdale to Buttermere in the Lake District:
- Preparation: Before starting your walk, ensure you have the right equipment, including comfortable and sturdy shoes, waterproof clothing, a hat and sunglasses, and a map and compass. Also, check the weather forecast and let someone know your plans.
- Travel to the Start Point: The starting point for the walk from Rannerdale to Buttermere is the car park located near the village of Braithwaite in the Lake District. You can reach this car park by car or bus.
- Start the Walk: From the car park, follow the signs for the path to Rannerdale. This path will take you through the rolling countryside and along the shores of Rannerdale, with stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Reach Buttermere: After approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes of walking, you will reach Buttermere. This stunning lake is surrounded by mountains, with a small village at one end.
- Take a Break: Buttermere is a great place to stop, picnic, swim in the lake, or relax and enjoy the scenery.
- Return to the Car Park: When you’re ready to head back, retrace your steps along the path to the car park.
- Public toilets are located in the car park, but no baby-changing facilities exist.
- There is a small café and shop in the village of Buttermere which sells refreshments.
- Parking is available at the car park near Braithwaite.
- There is a charge for using the car park, so be sure to bring some coins with you.
- The exact location is OS Grid Ref NY 188 230, and the postcode for Satnav is CA13 9UZ.
Suitable For: This walk is ideal for families with older children or teenagers, as it is a moderate walk with some steep sections and rough terrain in places.
Time: Allow approximately 3 hours for the walk, including breaks.
Terrain: The path from Rannerdale to Buttermere combines well-maintained trails and rough terrain with some steep sections.
Distance: The total distance of the walk is approximately 6.5 km (4 miles) each way.
Note: This walk is a great way to explore the beauty of the Lake District and take in the stunning scenery of Rannerdale and Buttermere.
It’s also essential to bring enough food and water for the entire walk. It’s always a good idea to let someone know your walking plans and carry a map and compass in an emergency.
We hope this guide helps you make the most of your Rannerdale to Buttermere walk.
Disclaimer: Please note that every attempt has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided at the time of writing.However, it is essential to verify the information carefully before making any decisions based on the contents of this article.